Thursday, August 1, 2013

Today is Thursday, August 1, 2013, three weeks to the day after my surgery. Today is the first day I am feeling pretty good! Words cannot fully express how happy I am – but I will try! :)

This weight loss surgery runs the gamut for time in recovery. I thought for sure that I’d be back on my feet, one of the success stories, pictures in Life magazine in three years of me waving from the top of Mount Kilimanjaro! Ha! J No – not really. But I expected to bounce back pretty quickly. I am no stranger to surgeries, having had two C-sections, three ventral hernia operations, and a rib removal when I was twenty five (that one knocked me flat for a week, they deflated my lung, and went through my arm pit to remove the rib that had lodged itself into my throat.) This one hurt. It hurt pretty bad. I was disappointed, frustrated with myself, and wondering had I made a mistake choosing this surgery….? Thank you God for my husband, he kept my spirits up when I was down. He has known me fifteen years now, and knew my struggle up close and personal. When I would falter he would say, “Babe, you didn’t make a mistake. This saved your life. Give it time. Give it time.” Yes, thank you God for my husband.

Here’s a photo of my first week post op, and today, three weeks post op. I have lost 32 pounds, and several inches.
 
 
 
Here is the size food you eat immediately following surgery. And then how much you can eat as you get closer to your thirty days out. The smaller one is about two and half ounces, while the larger is about five ounces.

 
 
What I have learned, and yes, to those of you that feel surgery is the “easy” way out (it’s not, believe me), it can be done without surgery, no doubt. The thing is I couldn’t. I could not lose weight. I probably did too much damage to my body as a young woman, yoyo dieting, going from 300 to 200 pounds in a matter of a couple of months. Several times. I always wanted to be accepted, and unfortunately I’m a bit of a silly goose - I absolutely adore laughing, and once you’re my friend you’re my friend for life - I never leave anyone out, I always include everyone because I know how much it hurts to be the one left behind. My life’s been a bit lonely. I attend things, but in times past it could be painfully obvious I was in the wrong the room, or group. Now – what’s helped with the above statements is CR, Celebrate Recovery (http://www.celebraterecovery.com/), it is a twelve step program that is offered at many venues, mainly churches, all over the country. It is Christ centered, as I cannot overcome what I’ve just expressed to you via this blog without keeping Jesus Christ front and center – He has already paid the price – so you’re darned tootin’, I belong in whatever room I’ve entered!

More importantly I can better handle when someone hurts me. Because, let’s face it, hurt people hurt people. It is a shame that communication cannot be the cornerstone, but some do not want to communicate. It’s safer, and more comfortable to live with a perceived wrong than it is to discuss it openly, thereby taking control of the situation and moving on. Sigh. It is difficult living in a society of hurt human beings knowing all they have to do is attend a CR meeting! :)

Any hoot! I’m very excited at the future, where I’m headed, where my body is headed, what I will be able to do as time goes on. This is merely a tool. I need to remember the weight can sneak back on if I am not careful. It is only a tool.

To those of you curious souls that wonder what the diet consists of, could you lose weight quickly? It is like Atkins on steroids. I am taking in 600 to my highest of 770 calories a day. Nearly all of it is protein. I’ll break down my diet below, what I have daily. I take three Flintstone vitamins a day, and three doses of two chewable tablets of caltrate, calcium & Vitamin D3 supplement. You have to take the Flintstone and calcium two hours apart, otherwise they cancel one another out. So every two hours I take a vitamin. I cannot eat and drink together. It literally hurts my chest and stomach if I try. I must get down 64 ounces of fluids a day, which I do via crystal light. I set a timer that reminds me when to eat, because I am usually not hungry. BUT! I must make sure that I have not drunk any fluids, otherwise I must wait a half an hour before eating. Otherwise it will hurt. And, there is evidence that you can stretch your new banana-sized stomach out if you do it often. Then, you simply wait one half hour after eating to commence sipping your fluids. I only have one six ounce cup of coffee a day – those that really know me know how incredibly shocking this is! J


Usual diet:

Breakfast: two eggs with a slice of cheese, scrambled.

Lunch: three to four ounces of whatever we had for dinner. Last night was high protein, low carbohydrate stuffed peppers with quinoa in a pressure cooker (you can find all kinds of great recipes online, just filter your search with “high protein, low carbohydrate.”

Dinner: Usually I’m trying to figure out what to have. As a for instance, I cooked up two ounces of spinach (canned) in with one egg, two artichoke hearts, and about a teaspoon of parmesan cheese. Oh my, it was good! Like a mini quiche! Just use your imagination!
 
By Mike’s birthday, on the 8th, I’ll be able to eat anything as that will be my “clearance” Doctor’s visit. I’m excited, because, after surgery (and only after – I didn’t think to ask PRIOR! DUH!) I asked if I could have popcorn. I LOVE popcorn. And the answer is yes. Oh, thank you! It is yes! So – movie for his birthday? :)

That’s about it. Now, below are some pictures of hairstyles that have caught my eye. I like the one that has a red hue to it, though I love Anne Burrell’s hairstyle as well! Ha! That is so my personality! :) I would love to change my hairstyle to one of the hairstyles below... feel free to write me a note stating which you like most.

Say a quick prayer for me, please. Tomorrow is the boys’ first day of school, Mike and I have chosen to homeschool this year. For many reasons, primarily because we saw our sons faltering, and there is only so much time allotted to us to properly educate them, and prepare them for what life will throw their way. Also, I’m liking the idea of having more time with them. My boys are such polar opposites, it will be interesting to see where this year takes us!

Have a blessed day, all, thank you for popping by
 
Hairstyles.... VOTE! :)

 

 

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! Do not let anyone tell you that you've taken the easy way out! NO ONE! I know your struggle. I live your struggle every day and have for my entire life. I only wish I had the insurance coverage to do what you have been able to do. I understand that this was literally your last ditch choice to be able to continue to be a great mom, a great wife, a great friend, and a wonderful child of our one true king! I understand you wanting to run with your boys, see them graduate from high school, maybe even college, get married, and be a grandmother to those grandbabies that will come! I say good for you Ange! I am so happy for you and proud of you. You did this for the right reasons. Don't let anyone tell you any different.

    ReplyDelete